Friday, September 17, 2010

Spirituality...

Spirituality is one of those things that has always intrigued me, but also terrified me at the same time...if that makes any sense.
For the longest time I thought that being a Christian meant reading your Bible everyday, going to Church every Sunday, praying regularly, and making my best attempt at loving other people (as best as I could), and doing my best not to sin.
Keep in mind, during this time, I was in High School, a teenager, and really didn't know what any of those things were...Even in my first few years of college, I thought that reading my bible for a few minutes, and asking God for strength & grace for the day made me a good person. But I found that as my day went on, it became difficult for me to remember the text I had read that morning, and that I struggled with feeling guilty for this.
As time has gone on, I have found myself still trying to make sense of things, but I am convinced that God can speak to us in almost any and every capacity- through His Word, books, music, even movies and TV. Having said that, I still think it is something that eludes me. I have read a number of different books, but still find myself asking the question of what it is, and how it works...
I think perhaps I might need to get back to the Gospels- to take a hard look at Christ's ministry, and see how he handled himself with others. After all, faith is only faith when exercised in light of community...
I guess that's all for now, comments, thoughts, experiences, stories, etc. are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment